Note: This article has been colsolidated into Ritual Theory and this article will be deleted soon.
These are the steps to create a circle.
These steps should be followed in the order given
- Purify the Area.
- Set up the alter is not already done.
- Light Candles and incense.
- Consecrate water and salt if not already done.
- Create the circle and cut door.
- Consecrate circle with water / salt / sage / etc.
- Call the Quarters.
- Invoke the God and Goddess.
Step by Step
Purify the Area
- Physically clean the area (and take a ritual bath if needed.)
- Clean the area of unwanted energies by smudging with sage or sweeping with a broom.
Set up the alter
- If you don’t maintain a permanent alter (or you need a special alter or your your away from your alter) you will want to set it up at this point id it hasn’t already been done.
Light Candles and incense
Consecrate water and salt if not already done
Create the circle and cut door
- Starting in the East with the Atheme blade held high and pointing towards the sky and say something like “I humbly ask the Lord and Lady to bless my tool to aid me in my task, as I create a sacred place between the worlds, a place without time, a safe haven for those that stand within”.
- Now point the tip of the blade toward earth and visualize a blue/white light springing forth from the blades tip meeting the earth at the point at which you want the edge of the circle to be.
- Walk deosil (Clockwise) around the circle visualizing the blue/white light creating the edge of the circle. As you are doing so, continue to repeat
“I create a sacred place between the worlds, a place without time, a safe haven for those who stand within” until you arrive back at the East Quarter.
- Hold the blade aloft once more and state “and it is so, So mote it be!” and return the blade to the altar touching the tip to the pentacle for grounding.
- Sometimes it is necessary to bring someone into Sacred Space that resides outside of the circle for ritual purposes, or allow someone vacate the circle. This is done by taking the Athame to the East Quarter point the tip of the blade at the edge of the circle. As you draw the blade tuathail (Counter Clockwise) along the edge of the circle visualize a gap opening. Make the opening big enough to allow passage into or out of the circle. Once the person has entered or left the circle point the tip of the blade where you and visualize the opening closing as you draw the blade deosil until the gap has been closed.
Consecrate circle with water / salt / sage / etc
Call the Quarters
- Air = East
- Fire = South
- Water = West
- Earth = North
"Hail to the guardians of the watchtower of the East, powers of Air, intellect and new beginnings! Witness and Bless our ritual We bid you Hail and Welcome!"
"Hail unto You, O Guardians of the Watchtower of the South, Powers of Fire and Manifestation! Witness and Bless our ritual We bid You hail and welcome!"
"Hail to the guardians of the watchtower of the West, powers of Water, feelings and emotions! Witness and Bless our ritual We bid you Hail and Welcome!"
"Hail to the guardians of the watchtower of the North, Ancient powers of the Earth Powers of Fertility and Form, Witness and Bless our ritual We bid you Hail and Welcome!"